The Sun's Wrath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sun's Wrath

A Bloodknight RP group for Sentinels Server (World of Warcraft)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To Hold (IC Tale)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maelthas
Admin
Maelthas

To Hold (IC Tale) Empty
PostSubject: To Hold (IC Tale)   To Hold (IC Tale) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:51 pm

The guttering light of a candle flickers over the page of the account book Maelthas examines. Sharp green eyes scan over the columns and figures, taking in the value of his wordly possessions. He can hear Kiahna flitting about downstairs, humming happily as she gathers their packs for the short journey to Shattrath. His heart skips a beat as he remembers her smile, the way the light of the setting sun had framed her beauty as she'd spoken to him by the dock, her graceful fingers curled in his own. He remembers the soft whisper of her words as she admitted her fear to him. He had never loved his wife more than he had in that moment.

I thought that you'd not want ones that we didn't create together, Maelthas.

It doesn't matter, my love. My family is dead, our lands lost. It's not as if birth order matters, not anymore. They will be ours, no matter where they come from.

He closes the book, satisfied that he's set aside more than enough for this night. He looks over his chambers, and rises to pull the storage chest at the foot of the bed closer to the two lounges placed near the window. It would make things easier for Kiahna, when they returned home later that evening. Kiahna's voice wafts up the stairwell, an edge of eagerness and excitement to her words: she's packed an extra pair of blankets to keep the chill of the wyvern's flight away from their charges. He smiles, and dons his helm and gauntlets before heading downstairs to join her.

The flight into Shattrath took little time. Maelthas steeled himself as he guided his wyvern, Bolt, into a short dive, passing over the dome where the Na'aru hold court over their grovelling followers. His hopes to pass over the area without contact from A'dal were mercifully answered as Bolt roared and lashed his tail to correct his course in answer to the rein. The wyvern flew down into the Lower City, landing lightly on the edge of a crumbling wall outside the World's End Tavern. With a grace belying his monstrous form, Bolt hopped onto more secure ground. Kiahna's own mount landed nearby, grumbling as it lashed its tail. Kiahna dismounted to purchase a bottle of celebratory wine from the tavern, and raised a hand to wave back at the lovely female Sin'dorei who greeted them from a mailbox nearby: Lady Medelitha Silversong. As the two women caught up with one another, Maelthas snapped Bolt's reins, and the wyvern leapt up to flap over the short distance to the next destination. His hope to avoid notice completely during the trip failed him here. A'dal's whispering voice touched his mind, as gentle as a summer rain.

Welcome, Champion of the Sin'dorei. Light keep you.

Don't call me that. My deeds have nothing to do with you, or your Light.

The creature didn't press the issue -- it never did. It knew the depths of his hatred for it and all it's kind, renewed every time he set foot in Nagrand and saw the scars the Na'aru had left on the land. But still A'dal whispered to him in that maddening, whispering voice whenever he came to the city, accepting his hate as easily as it accepted the devotion of the na'aru's fawning syncophants. Yet still it trusted him, even though it knew full well what he was, and what had been done to one of it's weak brothers in Silvermoon. It withdrew from his mind, a lingering trace of approval marking its departure as it sensed his purpose here. Maelthas fought down his irritation with the creature, and landed in front of his destination. The children playing outside gathered around a safe distance away, watching the armored Blood Knight and his mount with a mixture of awe and curiousity. Kiahna and Medelitha soon joined him, laughing as the three of them stepped inside the orphanage.

They were instant celebrities in no time. The troll matron who watched over the children grinned, as the young ones clustered around the visitors, peppering them with questions. Medelitha looked alarmed as one insistent youngster demanded if the mage would be her big sister during Children's Week. Maelthas smirked, and stood near his wife as she turned to look down at the infants in their cradles. He blinked in surprise, as two babies with purple skin, overly large heads and ears, and glowing gold eyes blinked up at him sleepily.

"Are those kaldorei?!" he blurted out, and Medelitha turned to look at the young ones.

"They are. I wonder how they got here." The mage shrugged, equally at a loss.

Maelthas frowned, a trifle lost at this development. "Kaldorei fight for their young ones. But I've never seen one of their children in Outland." Something about the two orphans disturbed him, but he couldn't place a finger on what it is. Another youngster drew his attention, a Sin'dorei girl some years older than the boy they've been speaking about from the orphanage in Nagrand. "I'd like an older girl, my love," Maelthas said, looking up to meet his wife's gaze. "Andarien is still so young. An infant on top of his own needs will be a bit much to handle, especially when we need to be away."

Kiahna smiled as she looked down at gathered children. "Yes, I was thinking the same thing." As his wife knelt to speak to one of the girls, and Medelitha tried to extract herself from her newest young admirer, Maelthas's gaze drifted to the doorway of the orphanage. The soft smile of his adopted sister, Aislin Morningfire, greeted him as she stepped into the large common room. She looked over the sea of youngsters with a grin.

"So it's t..today," Aislin said, as her hands folded together. "I wondered when you'd be d...doing it, after we talked."

Maelthas nods, his smile hidden behind the visor of his helm. Only a few days before, the two had secretly spoken how best to shop for things for a child, planning out the decorations for a wonderful room for a young Sin'dorei. Hiding the purchases from Kiahna had been difficult, but the two clever plotters had managed to do it without being caught. "It is. We're adopting two of them."

Aislin nearly squealed happily, clapping her hands together. "T..Two? Oh, how wonderful! You two are never going to sleep at night!"

Maelthas snorted at his adopted little sister. "What makes you think we do now?"

Kiahna snickered at her husband's wit, and straightened to talk to the other adults. More teasing ensued, more delightful conversation with the children followed. In the end, a rambunctious girl named Laeli was chosen to complete the family the Blood Knight had dreamed of since he was a boy. As Kiahna spoke to the troll matron and Laeli said goodbye to her friends, promising to write them as soon as her new mommy and daddy allowed it, Medelitha offered her congratulations and departed after promising to come visit the couple's home in Nagrand. Aislin smiled as Maelthas and Kiahna signed the adoption papers, and waved them on their way as the two headed off to Nagrand to pick up their new son who awaited them.

A pair of wyverns landed in the compound, and their riders dismounted. Maelthas carried Andarien inside the main house, the toddler sleeping soundly in the warm blanket the Blood Knight had wrapped him in to keep off the chill from the flight. As Kiahna smiled and knelt down to tuck Laeli into the lounge in their room, his arms cradled their new son.

Mine. A family of my own. This is one thing the Scourge won't take away from me.

A rush of protectiveness rushed over Maelthas, as he looked down at the sleeping boy. He put Andarien to bed, as Kiahna brushed Laeli's hair and sang to her, as her own mother had done long ago.

Miles away, in the center of a pavillion gleaming with Light, A'dal smiled.
Back to top Go down
https://sunswrath.forumakers.com

To Hold (IC Tale)
Page 1 of 1